Summary: The comptroller position is responsible for the day-to-day accounting operations of
the company, including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts
receivable, payroll, and grants administration. The comptroller will produce periodic financial
reports and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
The comptroller will ensure that DCPNI has the systems and procedures in place to support
effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The comptroller will work
closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and
accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program
operations. The comptroller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and
audit committee and will work closely with the senior leadership team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
• Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
• Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
• Process payroll in a timely manner
• Ensure that month-end closing adjustments and monthly bank reconciliations are completed
• Maintain balance sheet schedules
• Ensure that payments are made on a timely basis
• Import data from bill.com to QuickBooks
• Maintain the chart of accounts
• Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
• Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions and procurement processes
• Provide management and program cost reports
• Support of contracts, transaction coding and procurement processes
• Prepare contracts
• Produce monthly financial reports, and analyses as needed, in particular for capital
investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
• Prepare and coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
• Monitor cash flow and provide year-end projection updates
• Oversee federal grant drawdowns
• Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements, tax filings, and
license and registration renewals
• Assist with the budgeting process as necessary
• Support grant reporting process, federal and non-federal
• Serve as petty cashier
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience
and 8 + years of progressively responsible experience in accounting or financial management for
midsized nonprofit organizations. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified
Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations, and experience with
management of federal grants and federal grant reporting.
Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to multi-task prioritize and manage
multiple priorities. Ability to work flexibly with competing demands in a rapidly changing
environment. Ability to effectively manage and resolve conflicts and exhibit diplomacy with all
constituents and represent the changing face of an organization both internally and externally.
Demonstrated ability to write and speak clearly and informatively, and present financial data
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have proficiency in business accounting
software; Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and QuickBooks in both MAC and PC environments.
Knowledge of electronic payment applications such as Bill.com helpful.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter with salary preferences and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “COMPTROLLER” in the email subject line. Phone calls and
emails to DCPNI staff will not be accepted.
DCPNI is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.