Closed: This position is open until filled.
DC Promise Neighborhood Initiative (DCPNI) is the hub of a comprehensive effort to end intergenerational poverty in the District of Columbia’s Ward 7 Kenilworth-Parkside community and beyond. Founded in 2008 and operational since 2013, DCPNI has brought together neighborhood public and charter schools, community and faith-based organizations, resident leaders, local and federal government agencies, funders, corporations, and more than 30 program and service partners to collaborate in realizing our vision.
Summary: Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Chief of Programs, the Director of Education & Learning will lead DCPNI’s education strategy to improve student achievement, increase family-school involvement, and increase academic outcomes by working with high-quality, results- driven partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Defines DCPNI’s strategy to achieve Promise Neighborhood benchmarks and other strategies for student learning and improvement.
- Works with DCPNI’s Director of Data and Evaluation to develop and refine tools for assessing student and school-based partner performance.
- Develops and implements DCPNI’s academic case management approach and inform data system development.
- Identifies and supports the piloting of innovative academic and out-of-school-time programming and works with schools and community centers to scale programs.
- Identifies gaps in DCPNI continuum supports and works with DCPNI Senior Management to fill those gaps.
- Sets program benchmarks and ensures the timely development and implementation of program strategies to meet goals.
- Advises Chief of Programs and Finance Teams on needed resources and manage Education Programs procurement and budget.
- Manages relationships with external partners, including preparing/leading effective meetings, maintaining ongoing contact and promoting inter-agency collaboration.
- Collaborates with DCPNI teams (Family and Community Engagement; Data and Evaluation) to ensure seamless program delivery and support.
- Increases DCPNI’s visibility locally, regionally, and nationally
- Other duties may be assigned.
Manages five to six program managers and a team of coordinators. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with DCPNI policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths and weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Cost Consciousness – Develops and works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others. Inspires and motivates others to perform well. Effectively influences actions and opinions of others. Accepts feedback from others. Gives appropriate recognition to others.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement. Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities. Makes self-available to staff. Provides regular performance feedback. Develops direct reports’ skills and encourages growth. Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external). Fosters quality focus in others. Improves DCPNI’s processes, programs and services. Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Project Management – Exhibits the ability to manage multiple projects, resources, and people with emphasis on schedules, leading teams, and managing deliverables
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
Oral/Written Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Listens and gets clarification. Responds well to questions. Writes clearly and informatively. Varies writing style to meet needs. Presents numerical data effectively.
Organizational Support – Follows DCPNI policies and procedures. Supports DCPNI’s mission, goals and values. Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in education or related discipline and three (3) years of experience in a leadership role in a nonprofit environment, and the ability to create, develop, direct, organize, and analyze strategies and programs, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior experience should include working in a start-up environment that requires infrastructure, system and policy development helpful; familiarity with case management, employment and financial counseling services, and expertise in community based interventions to improve outcomes for low-income families and communities, with direct experience developing and implementing program strategies.
- Ability to strategically anticipate future consequences or trends and incorporate them into the organizational plan to consistently make sound analytical decisions.
- Expertise assisting families of young children, as full partners, to promote their children’s school readiness and overall healthy development.
- Knowledge of two-generation and family engagement program models, preferred.
- Strong analytical skills to quickly assess situations, identify trends, develop solutions and apply critical assessments for larger context.
- Experience using data to inform decisions and strategy.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders to successfully implement program plans.
Proficient in use of computer technology primarily Microsoft Office in MAC and PC environments and social media;
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans; short-term and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) with match; generous leave policy, and more – all in a friendly, dynamic work environment. For additional information, please visit our website at www.dcpni.org
BACKGROUND CHECK STATEMENT: The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks related to the position.
DCPNI is an Equal Opportunity and an Affirmative Action Employer (Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran)
- Qualified candidates should submit cover letter with salary preferences and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include “Director of Education and Learning” in the email subject line.
- Phone calls and emails to DCPNI staff will not be accepted.