Job Title: Grant Writer
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary Work is performed under the Chief Operating Officer with the majority of work being performed in collaboration with the Senior Development Coordinator and key personnel within the DCPNI staff. The Grants Writer researches, prepares and develops proposals and grant applications in response to public and private grant opportunities in the areas of: Education, Youth and Children, Community Development, Workforce Development, Advocacy, Capacity Building, Social Services, and Technology.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists with the execution of DCPNI’s annual fundraising plan through proposal development and research.
- Researches and maintains current statistical information on demographics and industry benchmarks impacting service delivery
- Generates well-crafted proposals and supporting documents in response to solicitations.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts and the finance team in the development of grant budgets that will support proposal development
- Identifies opportunities for leveraging existing funds to generate new revenue
- Maintains and implements funding calendar activities, including cultivation activities.
- Writes narrative reports to government, corporate, foundations and other funders.
- Serves as liaison with program staff and external partners, where needed
- Identifies funding opportunities and new program areas to match strategic priorities, using research tools.
- Serves as a liaison to all funding agencies or organizations
- Engages with program officers at organizations to solicit invitations to submit proposals.
This job has no supervisory responsibility.
COMPETENCIES To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Teamwork – Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Oral/Written Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
Listens and gets clarification. Responds well to questions. Writes clearly and informatively. Varies writing style to meet needs. Presents numerical data effectively.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- 3-plus years’ experience in grant writing
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated excellence in written communications including concept presentations and proposal writing
- Strong initiative, creative problem solving, and ability to prioritize without direct supervision
- Ability to accommodate unexpected changes and ambiguity that occur from time to time in nascent organizations such as DCPNI
- Experience with in education, youth, families and neighborhoods in Wards 7 or 8 a plus.
- Ability to learn and grow through a professional development plan process.
- Strong commitment to expectation that children growing up in Kenilworth-Parkside can succeed in academics and college.
Ability to work with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook primarily in MAC and PC environments. Knowledge in Salesforce or ETO preferable. Ability to understand and effectively use technology and data management systems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform successfully the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express oneself and exchange information. The employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position at an office desk or table. The employee is occasionally required to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to view computer monitors, Smart Phones and related technology devices.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate within an office environment.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes benefits.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter with salary preferences and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Grant Writer” in the email subject line. Attach at least two (2) written documents including a proposal for federal and corporate or private funds. Phone calls and emails to DCPNI staff will not be accepted.
DCPNI is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.