DCPNI seeks a talented and strategic Public Events Convening Manager to convene multiple public gatherings including partnership forums, community assemblies, trainings and educational events. The incumbent will serve as a crucial member of the Sustainability Team, responsible for maximizing the efforts of staff and community members to create events that excel in achieving their purpose, are efficient in planning, and broaden the engagement of stakeholders in fulfilling DCPNI’s mission. Requires excellent strategic thinking and event planning skills, as well as proven ability to call people together to collaborate.
Reporting to the Chief of Sustainability and serving as a member of the management Team, lead and manage the planning, marketing, execution and follow-up for all DCPNI events and trainings.
- Create an annual events schedule and develop tools that support collaborative planning, efficient use of time and resources, and alignment of events with DCPNI’s overall goals and priorities.
- Develop and manage an annual events budget.
- In conjunction with relevant department leaders, conceive public events/trainings and manage the planning, budgeting, marketing/communications, execution and follow-up strategies for each event.
- In conjunction with Human Resources Director, plan and execute staff orientations and trainings.
- In conjunction with Chief of Sustainability, plan and manage events and follow-up strategies designed to develop funding support for the organization.
- Define the DCPNI brand through events.
- Serve as an enthusiastic member of the Sustainability staff and lead by example for all staff and interns.
- Coordinate development of marketing/communications materials and strategy.
- Coordinate development of event agenda, speakers, and activities.
- Book venues and negotiate fees.
- Coordinate event timelines and schedules and serve as Event Manager.
- Organize facilities and manage all event details such as décor, catering, entertainment, transportation, invitee list, special guests, equipment, and promotional materials.
- Calculate budgets and adjust when necessary.
- Manage on-site staff and volunteers from set-up to take-down. Ensure that staff and volunteers are adequately prepared for the event.
- Plan menus, order food, and hire chefs or caterers.
- Provide direction to and maintain communication with external collaborators/partners in the event.
- Pay vendors for their participation in the event and ensure that receipts are collected.
- Give final approval for items such as music and menus.
- Proactively handle any arising issues and troubleshoot problems on event day.
- Communicate pertinent event information internally to generate broad staff engagement and support.
- Provide post-event evaluation and outcomes report to stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
DCPNI welcomes candidates with a dedication to urban youth, family and community development who can create and convene substantive events that foster public engagement in and support of DCPNI’s mission to eliminate intergenerational poverty in Kenilworth-Parkside. The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Four (4) to six (6) years of experience in project and/or events management, communications, public relations, or marketing (Minimum three years of experience in events management)
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, preferably in communications, public relations or events management
- Superior written and oral communication skills, including capacity to communicate compellingly with a variety of audiences
- Proven ability to manage collaborative event planning activities that maximize the efforts of diverse stakeholders to create events that achieve their purpose, on time and within budget
- Impressive portfolio of previously managed events
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently and meet tight deadlines
- Strong time and budget management skills
- Strong relationship and partnership building skills
- Excellent ability to set priorities, solve problems and be resourceful under pressure
- Outgoing personality, demonstrated creativity and ability to “think outside the box”
- MS Office proficiency; mastery of Excel and Power Point preferred
- Experience working with communities, schools and/or organizations located east of the Anacostia River a plus
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter with salary preferences and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Public Events Convening Manager” in the email subject line. Phone calls and emails to DCPNI staff will not be accepted.
DCPNI is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.