Community Engagement Manager
About The Role:
The Community Engagement Manager will be responsible for managing DCPNI’s Community Engagement team, outreach initiatives and community partnerships. This person will work closely with the Senior Director of Communications & Community Affairs to develop programs, trainings, and collateral for DCPNI staff and community members. The Community Engagement Manager will execute new and exciting grassroots programming and initiatives that will increase DCPNI’s visibility and connectivity in the Kenilworth-Parkside community. This position will supervise the Community Engagement Team and report to the Senior Director of Communications & Community Affairs.
Organizational Leadership & Management:
- Manage DCPNI’s Community Engagement Team, including one full time staff member and multiple hourly contractors;
- Represent DCPNI, its mission and core values at events and to the public at large;
- Set program benchmarks and ensure the timely development and implementation of community engagement strategies;
- Advise Senior Director on needed resources.
Planning and Implementation:
- Develop, implement and manage DCPNI’s community engagement strategy;
- Organize training and provide support for parents to lead meetings and other events;
- Provide team leadership based on best-practices;
- Increase DCPNI’s visibility in Kenilworth-Parkside;
- Identify emerging issues and trends around education and community development;
- Coordinate training for community engagement team;
- Identify and cultivate relationships with partners that align with DCPNI cradle to career strategy;
- Plan and execute community events;
- Conduct door-to-door outreach within all neighborhoods located in the Kenilworth-Parkside community;
- Recruit and mobilize community volunteers to take action in their community;
- Build alliances with school representatives and community organizations;
- Assist in the creation of community-based referral networks;
- Develop organizational structure for DCPNI’s Street Team;
- Build relationships with community leaders and residents.
Administration & Operations:
- Answer community questions about DCPNI services and supports;
- Prepare monthly statistical and progress reports to be submitted to the Senior Director for Communications & Community Affairs.
- Prepare materials and timely distribution of Community Engagement Newsletter;
- Manage community engagement calendar of events.
- BA/BS required.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in community outreach and mobilization programs, volunteer management, training and development preferably in programs that are local/regional in scope;
- Proven track record in growing volunteer base and expanding partnership base;
- Demonstrable knowledge of the principles and best practices of volunteer program management, organizational management, community development and resident engagement;
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and manage projects; strong organizational and administrative skills;
- Prior experience implementing a strategic plan;
- Advanced ability to think creatively and independently on concepts requiring advanced analytical skills;
- Must have experience working closely with senior staff;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage multiple priorities;
- The ability to work flexibly in a rapidly changing environment;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills; excellent editing skills;
- Proficient in use of computer technology primarily Microsoft Office;
- Leadership experience in a low-income community strongly preferred;
- Prior experience creating partnerships between residents and service providers preferred;
- Experience working in Ward 7 or in schools or organizations East of the River is highly preferred.
Candidates interested in this position should submit a 1.) cover letter, 2.) resume, 3.) references, and 4.) salary history to Human Resources, at [email protected]. Please label the email subject Community Engagement Manager with your first name _last name. No phone calls, please or direct emails to staff. This position closes at 5pm Thursday, October 31, 2013
Only those candidates who are self-motivated, forward-thinking, innovative and committed to social change need apply. DCPNI serves as an equal opportunity employer. Residents from the Kenilworth-Parkside community or greater Ward 7 are strongly encouraged to apply.