Job Title: Development Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Development Manager will spearhead development efforts as DCPNI continues to grow. This position will have the opportunity to build the development function, ensuring robust support for DCPNI’s programs and services, as well as the long-term sustainability of its mission and vision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and execute DCPNI’s annual fundraising plan.
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations, corporations, and local and federal government agencies.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, keep the Board of Directors well informed of and actively engaged in fundraising strategies and donor cultivation.
- Facilitates all phases of the gift cycle, including: initiating contact, cultivating and moving potential donors to solicitation and closure, making solicitations, and stewarding donors
- Coordinates with grants writing team and assist with writing and editing proposals where needed
- Develops fundraising campaigns within budget
- Works collaboratively with senior leadership, grant writing staff, finance team and other DCPNI representatives and stakeholders to cultivate and solicit donors for DCPNI priorities
- Cultivates new and maintain existing relationships with major donors; manages a portfolio of donors and prospective donors
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising.
- Manage the database for grant and donor recordkeeping and gift processing.
- Support the development of annual income projections and provide input into the development of annual expense budgets.
- Support the annual budget planning process to ensure that fundraising goals and strategy align with the overall budget and specific program needs.
- Expand the philanthropic base for support through measurable increases in regional prospect qualification and total giving goals
- Coordinate with DCPNI communications functions to maintain a high level of public awareness of DCPNI’s mission and the importance of philanthropic donations to its programs and services.
- As requested by the ED, represent DCPNI to key external audiences (peer organizations, philanthropic organizations, trade groups, and funders) to expand visibility and support.
This job has no supervisory responsibility.
COMPETENCIES To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Teamwork – Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Oral/Written Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
Listens and gets clarification. Responds well to questions. Writes clearly and informatively. Varies writing style to meet needs. Presents numerical data effectively.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- 4-plus years’ experience in development
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated excellence in written communications including concept presentations and proposal writing
- Strong initiative, creative problem solving, and ability to prioritize without direct supervision
- Ability to accommodate unexpected changes and ambiguity that occur from time to time in nascent organizations such as DCPNI
- Experience with in education, youth, families and neighborhoods in Wards 7 or 8 a plus.
- Ability to learn and grow through a professional development plan process.
- Ability to use personal experience of living in poverty as a tool for helping others build success.
- Strong commitment to expectation that children growing up in Kenilworth-Parkside can succeed in academics and college.
Ability to work with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook primarily in MAC and PC environments. Knowledge in Salesforce or ETO preferable. Ability to understand and effectively use technology and data management systems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform successfully the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express oneself and exchange information. The employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position at an office desk or table. The employee is occasionally required to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to view computer monitors, Smart Phones and related technology devices.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate within an office environment.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes benefits.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please include “Development Manager” in the email subject line. Phone calls and emails to DCPNI staff will not be accepted.
Attach at least two written documents including a proposal for funding and a (redacted) development plan you have created.
DCPNI is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer