Director of Communications
The DC Promise Neighborhood Initiative (DCPNI) is a newly formed non-profit organization
dedicated to increasing the number of children who complete their education from cradle to
college, and enter adulthood as productive participants in the 21st Century economy and in the
civic life of their communities. Through the collaboration of unique partnerships among a public charter school, DC Public schools, private corporations, community residents, service providers, and community based organizations, we are seeking to build a pipeline of services and supports for the children and parents living in the Kenilworth-Parkside community, using a twogeneration model.
About The Role:
This is an exciting opportunity to serve as part of the senior leadership team, driving
organizational strategy and execution. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications
Director will develop and execute a strategic marketing and communications plan to elevate
DCPNI’s local, regional and national presence. DCPNI is seeking an experienced, highly
motivated and effective communications expert to serve as our Director of Communications.
He/she will play an important role in heightening the visibility of the DC Promise Neighborhood
Initiative (DCPNI) and developing its image both locally and nationally as part of the Promise
Neighborhoods effort. The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about the mission of
DCPNI and can effectively understand our complex cradle to career approach in order to serve as
a key media contact, content developer, spokesperson and strategic communications lead for the
initiative. This position will manage at least one communications assistant, as well as external vendors to produce all marketing materials, website, social network content, media opportunities, written collateral and special events to promote the work of DCPNI.
- STRATEGICCOMMUNICATIONS PLANNINGANDIMPLEMENTATION
- Manage dedicated and shared human and organizational resources including a full-time team member and vendor partners to produce timely and compelling material;
- Refine and implement the DCPNI Communications Plan, which was initially developed as part of our planning process and coordinate an ongoing strategic communications planning process with DCPNI’s management team with input from the Board;
- Continuously revisit the Communications Plan to monitor progress, determine where revisions are needed and ensure the plan stays relevant for the ongoing work of DCPNI;
- Position DCPNI as a key metric in the national conversation around Promise Neighborhood’s and two-generation models.
- Proactively seek opportunities to place senior staff in high-profile opportunities beyond media, i.e., conferences, speaking engagement, etc.
- Train and coach DCPNI staff and partner staff, when appropriate, on externalcommunication techniques and messaging;
- Train staff on messaging and external relations and play a key role in helping to develop the organization’s culture;
- Serve as liaison and support to all DCPNI partners for advice, guidance and strategy on partner opportunities for media exposure;
- Coordinate all media outreach and respond Work with key staff to create and implement online and offline communication strategies and policies, including associated events and a social media plan;
- Manage all branding efforts, working with staff, Board, partners and other critical stakeholders to promote the organizations brand;
- Assist Executive Director in engaging internal stakeholders, inspiring them to contribute to the organization’s success in achieving our mission;
- Ensure the development and editing of content that supports organizational strategies, including op-eds, press releases, newsletters, blog posts, public statements, fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations, reports and other materials;
- Manage distribution of content via PR firms, media contracts and online sources;
- Speak publically at events locally and nationally to promote the mission of DCPNI and share information on DCPNI programs, strategies, impact and priorities;
- Create and implement a social marketing strategy for DCPNI and manage the agency’s utilization of electronic communications policies and technologies (e.g. website, electronic newsletter, Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Develop compelling, powerful messaging and content for DCPNI and DCPNI’s websites, brochures, social media outlets and other public-facing platforms;
- to requests from the media in a timely and professional manner and act as liaison between media and DCPNI staff to arrange interviews for print, online and broadcast media;
- Track and report on all communications activities including maintaining media archives;
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Journalism or related course, with a minimum of 5 years of
successful experience in the communications field with progressively increased levels of
- Start-up experience or new program launch experience highly preferred;
- Proven success in project and vendor management, leveraging time and resources as
efficiently and effectively as possible. Project management experience including creation of
work plans that include goals and outcomes and successful implementation of major projects;
- Experience in the successful design and implementation of comprehensive
communications/public relations strategies either in non-profit or corporate settings;
- Existing relationships within the communications field (media, writers, PR, bloggers);
- Consistent track record of success as a high-level performer;
- Experience in successfully placing articles, blogs, opinion letters, etc. in media outlets
including print and online media;
- Experience working with low-income communities preferred;
- Authentic connection to the mission and vision of DCPNI.
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail required with the ability to prioritize,
multi-task and manage competing priorities;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with staff, partners and volunteers
to advance organizational goals;
- Ability to speak and write fluent, compelling, articulate and grammatically correct
- Flexible, proactive and resourceful in an entrepreneurial environment with a high level of
professionalism and respect for confidentiality;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of communications and marketing tactics,
strategies, innovations and best practices;
- Computer literacy including all Microsoft office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel,
- Sophistication to make complex concepts, easy to digest.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience andcompensation history. Benefits will be competitive with industry standards and include medical, dental, vision,vacation, holiday and annual leave.
Candidates interested in this position should submit a 1.) cover letter, 2.) resume and 3.) writing samples to Human Resources, at [email protected] . Please label the email subject Director of Communications with your first name _last name. No phone calls or direct emails to staff. This position closes at 5PM on Friday, June 28,2013.
DCPNI seeks candidates who are entrepreneurial, self-motivated, forward thinking, innovative, passionate and committed to social change. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome diversity in the workplace.