Senior Managing Director
The DC Promise Neighborhood Initiative (DCPNI) is a newly formed non-profit organization with the mission to increase the number of children who complete their education from cradle to college, and enter adulthood as productive participants in the 21st Century economy and in the civic life of their communities. Through the collaboration of unique partnerships among a public charter school, DC Public schools, private corporations, community residents, service providers, and community based organizations we are seeking to build a pipeline of services and supports for the children and parents living in the Kenilworth-Parkside community, using a two-generation model.
DCPNI was recently awarded a five year, $25M Promise Neighborhood Implementation Grant from the Department of Education. We are currently seeking to fill mission critical roles with individuals who have a commitment to addressing the socio-economic disparities and challenges affecting underserved communities. The ideal candidate will possess an entrepreneurial spirit, enjoy building something from the ground up, approach every issue from a strategic perspective and bring astute analytical skills to help connect the pieces to our intricate puzzle.
About The Role:
DCPNI’s Senior Managing Director will oversee the development of staff management structures as well as senior leadership decision-making processes and long term strategic planning processes. The goal of this role will be to empower a talented DCPNI team to execute programs and partnerships of the highest quality and help ensure that DCPNI will become a national model for collective impact and holistic two-generation approaches to ending intergenerational poverty. The Senior Managing Director will serve as a member of DCPNI’s Executive team, reporting to the Executive Director. The Senior Leadership of DCPNI’s Programs and Community Engagement teams will report to the Deputy Director/Senior Managing Director.
Organizational Leadership & Staff Management:
- Directly manages the team responsible for the day-to-day administration and implementation of DCPNI’s Department of Education $25M Implementation Grant milestones and requirements.
- Oversee and coordinate all internal leadership meetings-setting agendas, deciding what items need to be addressed by which team, coordinating timing of discussions with each team and leading each group to decision points on all issues.
- Draft and circulate full meeting notes after each meeting, and ensure compliance with DCPNI decisions.
- Oversee the day-to-day management as well as the long term strategic planning of DCPNI’s programs & outreach teams.
- Facilitate the coordination of DCPNI’s Programs & Community Engagement teams to advance DCPNI priorities and achieve organization-wide goals.
- Coordinate daily with DCPNI’s Communications and Data & Evaluation teams.
Planning, Strategy and Implementation:
- Develop and refine DCPNI’s policy agenda.
- Responsible for providing day-to-day assistance and strategic advice to the Executive Director on programmatic, communication, and relationship management matters;
- Works with the Executive Director (ED) and Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Board of Directors to implement all priorities and other cross-program activities.
- Provide leadership and direction on special policy and program initiatives. Manage the development and implementation of key initiatives and critical projects as necessary.
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
- Act as mentor/coach among DCPNI leadership; act as a visible, approachable sounding board/resource among staff.
- Partner with the ED in essential internal firm leadership activities (human resources, administration, and organizational planning).
Communications & Relationship Management:
- Oversee the management of DCPNI’s partner selection process as well as the relationship management with partners.
- Represent DCPNI in public forums and to key stakeholders.
- Provide input on DCPNI’s strategic messaging toward a variety of audiences. Assist with the creation of remarks and presentations for the Executive Director.
- Write and/or assemble collateral material and briefing and decision memos.
- Assist the ED with the preparation of board reports and meetings.
Administration & Operations:
- Coordinate daily between DCPNI Programs & Community Engagement teams and the Operations & Finance teams.
- Directly manages the Executive Office, overseeing all correspondence into and out of the office; producing/driving the agendas and all collateral material for senior program team meetings.
- Act as surrogate for the ED in certain administrative and programmatic matters.
- Aide in budget development and management.
- Work with Executive Director and staff to report on organizational achievements and challenges to the Board of Directors.
- Master’s in public administration, public policy, or business administration required;
- Minimum of a 10 year work history with strong senior management experience;
- Demonstrated experience as manager of several departments or functions with responsibilities that deal with the organization’s mission on a daily basis;
- Demonstrated ability to lead the effective coordination of cross-functional teams;
- Must have experience working closely with senior staff and executive level colleagues;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage multiple priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic plans and coordinate their implementation;
- The ability to work flexibly in a rapidly changing environment;
- Must be able to effectively manage and resolve conflicts and exhibit diplomacy with all constituents and represent the changing face of an organization both internally and externally;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills; excellent editing skills;
- Proficient in use of computer technology primarily Microsoft Office and social media;
- Leadership experience in a low-income community strongly preferred;
- Prior experience creating partnerships between schools and community organizations preferred;
- Experience working in Ward 7 or in schools or organizations East of the River is highly preferred.
Candidates interested in this position should submit a 1.) cover letter, 2.) resume, 3.) references, and 4.) salary history to Human Resources, at [email protected]. Please label the email subject Senior Managing Director with your first name _last name. No phone calls, please or direct emails to staff. This position closes at 5PM on Monday July 8,2013.
Only those candidates who are self-motivated, forward-thinking, innovative and committed to social change need apply. DCPNI offers a competitive compensation package and serves as an equal opportunity employer. Residents from the Kenilworth-Parkside community or greater Ward 7 are strongly encouraged to apply.